Life can be complicated, and sometimes it’s hard to work out the pieces. If you’re lost, thinking about where to go, here are some suggestions for starting to unravel your life:
Take Stock of What You Have
Whenever you’re feeling stuck, it’s important to first take stock of what you have. Ask yourself:
- What resources do I have? Do you have knowledge, relationships, money, time, or something else?
- What challenges are present? Are there issues around mental health, physical health, finances, relationships, education, etc.?
- What is my purpose in life? Knowing your purpose can help to guide your goals, decisions, and actions.
Set Some Short and Long-term Goals
After you’ve taken stock, it’s important to start thinking about your goals. Goals help to bring direction and focus to your life, as well as a sense of accomplishment.
- Short term goals. These are goals that you can accomplish in a day, a week, or a month. Short term goals can help to keep you on track and ensure that you are taking small steps to move closer to the larger goals.
- Long term goals. These are goals that will take more time to accomplish, but will ultimately help you to move closer to the life that you want to create. Identify some areas of focus and start to create a roadmap for yourself.
Take Action and Seek Support
Having goals is great, but without taking action, they won’t amount to much.
- Take action. Break your goals down into smaller steps that are achievable and start tackling them one by one.
- Seek support. You don’t have to tackle life on your own. Talk to friends, family members, mentors, and counselors to get the support that you need.
Unravelling a life is not easy. It’s a process that takes time and lots of effort, but it’s worth it if you’re able to create the life that you want. The most important step is to start taking action, and the rest will fall into place.