The 2010s have quickly become a decade to remember in America, and although the final twelve months of the decade will likely contain plenty of news-worthy events and memorable moments of the past ten years, it’s a great time to look back and appreciate the foundational moments and shifts that shaped the current state of our country.
Pop Culture Phenomenons
Pop culture has been a major force in shaping American life in the last decade. Some of the most prominent phenomena of this time period include:
- Social Media: Social media has become a ubiquitous part of American life, with platforms like Twitter and Facebook being mainstays of daily news and discourse.
- Streaming Services: From Netflix to Hulu, music streaming to fake collections, streaming services have become a major part of pop culture and entertainment.
- Memes: Memes have become a major part of internet culture, evolving images, videos, and other media into universal pieces of humorous content.
Politics and Geopolitics
Politics and geopolitics have always played an important role in shaping American life, and this decade has been no exception. The decade began in 2011 with Barack Obama in his second year as President, and it will end with Donald Trump in his third year. Within this timeline, some major events include:
- The Arab Spring: The Arab Spring was a series of protests and demonstrations that swept the Middle East and North Africa, starting in 2011 and persisting for much of the decade.
- The Great Recession: The Great Recession was a major financial downturn that hit much of the world in 2008, with its effects lasting well into the next decade.
- The Syrian Civil War: The Syrian civil war broke out in 2011 and is still ongoing, spurring conflict, refugees, and an international response.}
The Impact of Technology
Technology has been a huge force in shaping the last decade in America. Mobile phones and tablets have gone from luxury items to essential devices, with the internet and other digital technology becoming ever more entrenched in our daily lives. From advancements in driverless cars and artificial intelligence to major outbreaks of cybercrime, this decade has seen major advances in technology as well as setbacks and challenges.
The past decade has seen its share of major events, breakthroughs, and challenges in American life, and although the decade is coming to an end, its effects can still be felt in the present-day. As the world continues to evolve, it will be interesting to see how the last ten years have shaped the next one.